I actually found this HP Folio 13-1020US by accident. (found it at $800)
I was searching for a really thin, easy to carry, lightweight, and very portable 13 inch range laptop to use mainly for my work (I travel a lot for business) and additionally good enough to play videos from a lot of sources, including Netflix and YouTube.
Size and weight was a very important factor to consider since I want to have my laptop everywhere and it has to be light to carry with all my stuff.
That said, whenever I knew a new laptop breed are being released known as “ultrabook“, I was always excited.
If you are currently looking for an “ultrabook”, you will likely encounter the same drawbacks I also have, either it is not including some ports you really need or it’s extremely expensive.
And usually, if you want to have all of features and don’t want to sacrifice some features, like more USB ports, backlit keyboard, you should get a 15″ range laptop, but this HP Folio 13-1020US has them all!
This HP Folio 13-1020US happens to be the first ultrabook on the market that has so many features which other ultrabooks don’t have, at a reasonable price.
It’s really a MacBook Air alternative if weight and thickness is concerned.
HP Folio 13-1020US 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (Steel Gray)
Appearance and look:
This HP ultrabook has an absolutely nice design, and I can say, it’s everything I needed in an ultrabook.
It’s not the most good looking or best eye catching machine, but to me the brushed aluminum finish is very sleek, looks very simple and clean with the grey color.
Other ultrabook I have looked don’t include full size HDMI or ethernet port, backlit keyboard but this one has them.
The keyboard keys are very well spaced, and has backlit. There is also an USB 3.0 so transferring files is really fast.
HP Folio 13-1020US Pros and Cons
My only one con is the keyboard. I have to say, even though it’s backlit, unfortunately it has white backlit, I would like it to be red backlit, but honestly, other features outweigh this small issue
* The SSD – This is one of the reasons I want it, with 128GB SSD, everything like start up, install, copy and load applications are ridiculously fast. Once my windows pass is entered, this machine is ready to be used in 15 seconds, like nothing I have experienced before.
* Portable – It’s not only well built, it feels good, and travel friendly, because it’s very thin.
* Battery life – it’s probably the best battery life of an ultrabook out there, 8 hours with wifi on and videos running.
* USB 3.0, really love it!
* Regular size HDMI port
* It has Intel’s WIDI or Wireless Display
* High quality speakers: The audio quality is amazing, it’s definitely the best sound I’ve experienced on a laptop.
Overall, for a little over $800, this ultrabook is really a winner.
You may need to compare it with other ultrabook, but this one wins hand down. Other ultrabooks don’t have full size HDMI, USB and HDMI ports, USB 3.0, SSD.
All in all, if you are considering to get a thin, appealing and also sturdy ultrabook which still offers on good battery life, fast performance (thanks to the SSD), then this HP Folio 13-1020US certainly is the best one of this early 2012.